Study MBBS in USA
Study MBBS in USA
MBBS in USA is a wise decision for Indian students because medical programs in the United States of America are worth valued. It is a dream of many Indian students to study in USA.
MBBS in USA is more focused on practical knowledge than just theoretical learning. Studying MBBS in USA will be an enriching experience for students with expertise, knowledge and skills they gain through the course.
If one wants to set up an exceptional medical profession anywhere in the world then he/she can go for MBBS in USA.
Though the medical education system in USA is completely different than most of the European countries like Russia, Ukraine, Georgia or Asian countries like China and Philippines, after a student completes his PG degree in medical in USA, he/she does not need to give any exam to practice in India.
In USA, the medical degree is known as MD (Doctor of Medicine) and it is not known as MBBS. The language of instruction is English for medical course in USA.
The medical degrees in America are MCI, WHO, ECFMG and MCC approved. MBBS in USA has proved itself as a benchmark in the field of clinical schooling.
MBBS in USA - Quick Overview
Last Date to Apply March, 2020
Basic Eligibility 50% in PCB for General at 10+2 Science
40% for SC/ ST or reserve categories
NEET ExamRequired, it is compulsory with Qualifying marks.
MCAT Exam Required, to get admission to top medical schools in USA
IELTS and TOEFL Yes, required.
Minimum Course Fee Rs.3.60 Lakhs/Year
Maximum Course Fee Rs.47 Lakhs/Year
Cost of Living in USA Rs.14-15 Thousand/Month
Course Duration (in Year) 4.5 + 1 year Internship
Medium of Education English Language
Top Medical University Harvard University
Universities Recognition MCI and WHO approved
List of Top MBBS Universities or Schools in USA (MCI Recognized)
Name of the Colleges Location
Harvard University Massachusetts
New York Medical College New York
Washington University Missouri
Temple University, School of Medicine Philadelphia
University of California California
Emory University Atlanta
Case Western Reserve University Ohio
American University of Saint Vincent Kingstown
Mayo Medical School Minnesota
Northwestern University Illinois
State University of New York New York
University of Minnesota Minnesota
Wayne State University Michigan
MBBS in USA - Fee Structure of Top Medical Universities & Colleges
Following are some of the most prestigious and renowned universities for MBBS in USA, which are:
Name of the University Course Fee (Per year)
Harvard University $ 61,535
Tufts University $ 61,464
Dartmouth College $ 63, 551
Brown University $ 62,917
University of California $ 64,132
Washington University $ 63,230
Columbia University $ 66,257
Duke University $ 61,032
As the above mentioned universities are the top universities in the world, they charge very high tuition fees which is around 40-50 lakhs per annum which is not affordable to every student and hence those students can prefer some of the other universities given in the list below which have comparatively less tuition fees but provide quality education.
Name of the University Fees (Per Year)
Texas A&M School of Medicine $13,790
New Mexico School of Medicine $15,798
East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine $18,159
University of North Carolina - Chapel School of Medicine $24, 837
University of Central Florida $25,491
David Geffen School of Medicine $32,757
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine $49,990
All the Benefits of Studying MBBS in USA
Quality of medical education in USA is excellent. If one wants to be an expert doctor then he/she should choose MBBS in USA.
MBBS colleges in USA have a noticeable and high reputation all around the world.
Doctors from USA have great demand and respect all over the world.
The medical education in USA is taught completely in English medium.
To secure admission to MBBS course in USA, students are not required to pay any additional capitation fees other than the course fees.
Students who study MBBS in USA and want to practice in India are not required to give any MCI Screening Test.
Many of the top medical universities in USA offer scholarship facilities to international students which depends on the merit of the student.
Students can seek a part time job while studying medicine in USA.
Top medical colleges in USA offer stipend to students from the beginning of the MBBS program in USA.
MBBS Course Duration in USA
The duration of the MBBS course in USA is different than the standard course duration in other countries.
In USA, MBBS is known as MD (Doctor of medicine).
After completing a 4 years bachelor degree a student gets qualified as MD.
The medical colleges in USA have a residency program where students can choose their respective areas of specialization after completing MD, which is of 3-4 years. A residency program is nothing but a PG level program. The duration of the residency program depends upon the specialization chosen by the student. Because different specializations take different time period to complete. A General surgeon requires 5 years whereas a Pediatrics requires 3 years, on the other hand a Neurosurgeon needs 7 years.
During the course years, students need to give USMLE exams 1, 2 and 3 at appropriate steps. After USMLE exam 3, the student’s MBBS degree gets completed. And hence, the total course duration of a MBBS course in USA is between 7 to 9 years.
About MCAT Exam
USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) defines the system of medical education in USA.
MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) which is the basic entrance exam for getting admission to top medical schools in USA.
AAMC (Association of American Medical colleges) conducts and monitors the exam and also publish the results for the same.
However, qualifying in MCAT is very difficult like any other medical entrance exam. The local students who wish to study medicine course in USA, take part in this exam. Scoring good marks in MCAT exam and getting admission in a top medical college in USA is the dream of every American student.
Only after completing the pre-medical program, Indian students and students from other countries can give this MCAT exam.
Though MCAT exam helps for securing admission in best medical colleges in USA, it is the most difficult and even very expensive way to pursue MBBS degree.
Medical Education in the USA Accredited by
Medical Council of India (MCI)
Ministry of Education, USA
World Health Organization (WHO)
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
World Federation for Medical Education (WFME)
The Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER).
Syllabus for Studying MBBS in USA
USMLE approved curriculum is followed by most of the top medical colleges in USA. A USMLE approved medical college always proves to be better than other medical colleges in USA. Thus, medical students should always find USMLE recognized medical college.
The basic science course is USMLE Step 1. Its curriculum covers the subjects such as Skin and Related Connective Tissue, Respiratory System, Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems, Gastrointestinal System, Musculoskeletal System, Cardiovascular System, Renal/Urinary System, Endocrine System, Reproductive System etc.
The combination of clinical knowledge (CK) and clinical skills (CS) is the USMLE Step 2. At this stage, hands on experience can be gained by the students on clinical rotation. USMLE step 2 subjects include like - Gynecological Disorders, Nutritional, Abdominal, Digestive Disorders, Congenital Abnormalities and many more along with mental disorder.
The last stage of USMLE syllabus is the USMLE Step 3 that is where students need to take a residency program by choosing any of the specializations. USMLE curriculum includes clinical rotation through which students can get a chance to interact with patients and can gain hands on experience.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Admission in USA
Students who want to get an admission in a top medical college in USA, students should fit in the following eligibility criteria:
He/she should have obtained minimum 50% marks in 12th standard from any recognized Indian central or State Board with Biology, Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects.
If the percentage of a particular student is less than 50% then they have to give the Entrance test.
If the student does not have Biology, Physics and Chemistry at their 12th standard then they need to go through a pre medical year.
Good scores in IELTS or TOEFL is required as a proof of English proficiency.
MBBS in USA after 12th
In spite of having a strong desire to pursue MBBS programme in USA after 12th, the lack of information causes many students to fail in getting admission to this most competitive course in the most competing country
Medical study in US is different than the MBBS in UK. The medical studies which European countries offer for international students has almost similar pattern like MBBS in UK.
Not only the European countries but also the countries like China, Philippines, Georgia and Russia offer similar patterns for studying MBBS.
But to study MBBS in USA is a completely different thing. That is the reason why students who have the passion to study medical in USA fail as they lack proper information and guidance.
Thus, how to study MBBS course in USA is the major question which always comes in the minds of aspiring students.
MBBS in USA - Is it Safe for Indian Students?
The United State of America is very safe & secure for Indians.
Due to the kind of work Indians do in the USA, their education and smart work, they have earned great respect. The Indians are highly paid there.
American people have a great sense of humor and they are very loving.
They value multiculturalism hence there is less chance of racism. Economically also, Indians are very important for US. Thus, there is no such any harm or danger for Indian people in America.
Cost of Studying Medicine in USA for Indian Students
Students are always in search of colleges or medical schools which offer MBBS in USA at low fees. However, the cost of MBBS in USA is almost similar to Indian private colleges. The advantage is that medical universities in USA do not ask for any donation.
Some of the best MBBS schools having average tuition fees in USA charge fees of Rs. 60-65 lakhs for the entire bachelor level course of 5.5 years.
Whereas some colleges have fees around Rs.20-30 lakhs per annum. During the PG level (Residency program), students can earn this money back to a great extent.
In addition to this, they also have opportunities to earn scholarships offered by some of the top MBBS universities in USA but for which they need to apply early. Qualified students can get scholarships of up to Rs.13 lakhs from the first 3 years tuition fees.
Education Loan Facilities for Indian Students (We Offer)
We “Edfinite Careers” make students aware about all the proceedings and we give assistance in availing bank loans.
We help students with all the necessary data to approach towards all the major banks for education loans.
Our experts guide you through the whole process, from loan application to documentation to liaison with private and national banks so that you can get a hassle free education loan to meet tuition and living expenses overseas.
Application Procedure to Study Medicine in USA
Universities and medical institutions in USA have a streamlined admission process.
Step 1: The first step is students need to fill out the forms and send the application to as many universities they wish to so that the chances of responses are higher.
Step 2: At the same time, students must keep this in mind that, the intake rate of international students in medical universities of USA is very low.
Step 3: Students must appear for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) for getting admission to MBBS in USA. This test judges the knowledge of reasoning, science and writing skills of students and it is a computer based test of 4 to 5 hours. There are unlimited attempts for this test but a student can appear for this test only thrice in a year. Like other medical entrance tests, MCAT is also hard but with consistent efforts one can score good in it.
Step 4: After scoring good marks in this test, students can start filling the application forms of different medical colleges in USA.
Step 5: Students are always encouraged to apply through American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) by most of the medical colleges and universities in USA.
Step 6: Letters of recommendation are needed to be attached by the student along with the application. With limited scholarships and financial aids, very few private universities accept international students for MBBS in USA.
Required Documents to get USA Student Visa
There are many different rules including governmental or legal interface to provide the Student Visa to USA, as USA is a Superpower nation and the world’s best country. Students would get F-Class USA student visa who want to pursue MBBS in USA.
To get the USA student visa, following are the general requirements:
· Visa application fee receipt.
· VFS appointment letter for interview.
· Print out of DS 160 application form appropriately filled along with the bar code by the student.
· University of USA issues l-120 form at the time of interview, carry it along.
· Passport size copies of photographs.
Career Options in USA (After Completion of MBBS Degree)
· Once the students complete their target of completing MD in USA, they get a world open with full of opportunities for them. After becoming a doctor, there are different employment opportunities for Indian students in the US itself like they can start their own practice, or they can get good jobs with high salaries in private and public government hospitals or they can work in research field.
· But students should only remember one thing that, in order to practice in USA, students should complete their residency program and just bachelor level of MBBS is not sufficient.
· Also, if students just complete their MBBS in USA and not the residency program then they would need to give MCI screening test in India. However, in reality, students do not return back to India without completing their residency program (PG level).
· Indian students who complete their MD in USA can also practice in India without the need to clear the MCI screening test.
· As USA medical degrees are valued everywhere, it guarantees Indian students to practice their career at US government authorities or non-government hospitals.
Value of USA’s MBBS Degree in India
· USA MBBS degrees are greatly valued anywhere in the world and India can not be an exception to it.
· Indian students who complete MD in USA and want to practice in India can not only practice in India but can also search for employment opportunities in India without having to give FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Exam) or MCI screening test.
· Doctors from USA have a high level of respect and demand in India and also other countries of the world.
· The USA (United States of America) is also known as U.S. (United States) or America. It comprises of 50 states, 5 self governing territories, one federal district and other possessions.
· It has a population of 325 million and it is the world’s third mostly inhabited country. The capital of USA is Washington, D.C. and New York is the largest city.
· The country has diverse geography, culture, climate and wildlife. Every student who seeks themselves as a successful doctor, for them, medical education in USA is a dream.
· The USA has strong economy with developed services and hence the country has very high standard of living.
· The country is also rich in natural resources. The literacy rate in America is 99% as it spends more than any country on education sector.
Accommodation Facilities for Indian Students in USA
After completing the admission process for MBBS in USA successfully, the next job is finding a good accommodation. Most of the top medical universities in USA will help students in finding accommodation.
There are 2 types of accommodations available: On-campus (Hostels or Dormitories) and Off-campus (Home stay or Apartments-flats)
The students who are going abroad to study for the first time, for them
· On campus option is better as all the facilities like food, laundry etc. are easily accessible and within the reach of a student. Due to the events organized at the hostel premises, students can get the feel of American culture and can get to know students from different cultures and backgrounds.
· Off-campus option is comparatively cheaper and students can get a chance to explore American lifestyle closely without any time deadlines. The off-campus housing office at the medical college selected by the student will guide them to select a place for them to live, give them information about their neighbors, popular restaurants, parks, public transportation, shopping areas etc.
· Climate is almost same everywhere in the country of USA.
· It is humid and dry in the southern region of USA while wet and cold and extreme hot in the south-western region.
· In the plains and southern states, summers are hot and humid while it is very hot in the southwest.
· With cool sunrise and pleasant evenings, summers are always pleasant.
The 4 different seasons in America are as follows:
Winter January to March
Spring April to June
Summer July to September
Autumn October to December